Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The good, the bad and the ugly!

I'm sitting here with my foot propped up, I think I broke my pinky toe. It hurts a lot! I was getting the littles and myself ready for the day and I slipped on a piece of train track and fell hard on my right side. I'll likely have a bruise on my thigh and my wrist is a bit sore. Right after I fell, the pain was so bad I thought a trip to the ER might have been in order. Then I panicked, my house is a disaster, who will I call that won't judge me too badly when they come in to help me with the kids? I realized if that was my biggest concern, I wasn't hurt too badly so I sucked it up and peeled myself off the floor.

Then it hit me. I got so much praise with yesterday's post but that praise isn't entirely deserved. When I choose to share stories on Facebook or this blog I have the ability to choose what is on display, so it's mostly good. Someday my kids may read this and I don't want them to think I tried to portray myself as June Clever. Who am I kidding, they won't know who June Clever was but I can't think of a currently famous Super Suzy Homemaker, so we're sticking with June. I am not super mom and I'm especially not a super house keeper. I often leave the dinner dishes until lunch the next day. Currently there's laundry stacked on the desk that I folded a couple nights ago but didn't put away because all of the kids were asleep and I didn't want to wake them. I have no excuse for the stack of laundry waiting to be put away in my own room nor do I have an excuse for why I've shuffled the kids' laundry around more than once and still haven't put it away. Our Christmas tree is still up. There are Christmas gifts still strewn about the house with no permanent location decided on yet. Let's not forget about the offending train tracks that caused the fall. Yes I have 4 children, but the toys rule the house at the moment more than they ever should. I know from more than one recent incident that when the dummy meter on my van says that my distance until empty is 0 miles I can squeeze a couple more miles out of it. It's cold out for crying out loud and I've got 4 kids in the van most of the time, I shouldn't be living on the edge like that. I've done the crazy mom scream at my kids many more times than I'm willing to count, they're just kids I shouldn't lose my temper so easily.

I read somewhere that people who blog about their weight loss have more success. I'm wondering if this is true about all aspects of life? Maybe if I blog about the good, the bad and the ugly I'll have more overall success. Maybe I'll be able to truly enjoy unexpected company rather than be embarrassed over the state of my home. I know blogging about it won't make it magically better but at least I'll be keeping it real. What do you think? If your mother-in-law stopped by right now would you honestly feel comfortable letting her in the door? Or would you wish she'd have at least given you 5 minutes to do a quick dash and stash?

2 comments:

  1. I have heard that people who blog about it, do better at it. I really wish it was true for me...it seems that I seem to enjoy not accomplishing my goals. Ugh.

    But I will be here to kick you in the butt if need be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your great progress! I saw you on the WW 100+ board. my blog is www.cherisheachmoment.blogspot.com. Hope you'll check me out as well :)

    ReplyDelete