Saturday, January 15, 2011

10% off!

No, I'm not running a sale. I'm trimming down on what's in my packaging. Last Sunday I received my 10% award at Weight Watchers! Since the beginning of August I've lost 31.8 pounds, that's just over 10% of my starting weight! I've got a long way to go to get to a healthy weight, but every bit I lose definitely puts me at a HEALTHIER weight so I'm celebrating all that I can.

But it hasn't always been sunshine and roses. I've tried this weight loss thing a bunch of times. I've done Atkins, I've done Slim Fast, I've calorie counted and I've never stuck with it long. But I refuse to let my weight have the control of my life that it had last summer. Hannah's Brownie troop was going horseback riding and they needed a couple parents to ride with them. We were both so excited to spend this time together. It was such a slap in the face when the horse people basically acted like I was physically disabled and suggested that I book a mother/daughter trail ride so they could give me the "attention that I would need." I was so offended. I knew I was overweight but honestly I was getting around the playground with my kids more than a lot of average weight moms I knew. But I didn't fight it, I shamefully bowed out of the trail ride. Instead of spending $45 for a 1 hour trail ride, I spent $40 to join Weight Watchers. It was definitely a bittersweet moment. I was so upset that I had let myself get to that point but excited that I was doing something positive about it.

I can't tell you how much I LOVE Weight Watchers. I love that I get to eat normal foods, I just had to adjust my portion sizes. Carbs aren't prohibited, but I definitely eat a lot more fruits and vegetables these days. I love that every week I get to hang out with a bunch of people that think just like I do. Heck, even the weekly newsletters feel like they went in to my mind to find subjects to write about. It all just makes sense. For every 5 pounds I lose, I get a star sticker. And while it's sort of silly and childish, I cherish those stars. My 6 stars hang on my fridge at eye level and serve as a reminder to make good choices each time I open it up.

I've slipped up a few times especially through the holidays. But I got back on plan and have continued my journey to the healthy Noelle I want to be. I can't wait for next summer. Sophie will be 5 in March and she's tall enough to ride most of the roller coasters at Cedar Point. I've been too big to fit on the roller coasters for a few years now, but not this summer darn it! I WILL be sitting next to my little girl on her first roller coaster ride! I'm done sitting on the sidelines watching my kids have fun, I want to be in on that action!

No comments:

Post a Comment